22 April, 2010

Happy Earth Day!

Happy Earth Day everyone! I remember celebrating this day long before it was "cool" to do so. In fact, I remember wearing an Earth Day tee shirt to my (first) job (The Imaginarium -- a toy store) on said day. I'm not sure everyone got it. . . . That was a while ago, though.

So, what am I going to do to celebrate Earth Day? Well, it's hard to say, honestly. Matthew and I are very earth conscious already. I'm proud of the following things that we do:

- We recycle.

- We use very little electricity (Truthfully, there is usually one lamp on, with two CFL in it, in the evening. There might also be a telly on or one of the computers, but that's generally all. Unless, of course we are doing laundry (in our HE, Energy Star compliant washer and dryer) or using the dishwasher. Yes, we do need to upgrade our dishwasher. It's only three years old, but we do not feel like you should have to "wash" your dishes before "washing" your dishes. What a waste of water and time. So, that is on the list of soon to be upgraded appliances. We already have a fabulous Energy Star Bosch one picked out!)

- We use earth friendly, biodegradable bin liners.

- We use earth friendly cat litter.

- We try to buy only organic produce and food products.

- We use only organic, earth friendly cleaning products.

- We use recycled toilet paper, tissues, and napkins.

- We use only biodynamic or organic, earth and body friendly toiletries -- and I do mean every toiletry, from cologne to toothpaste to shower gel to deodorant to sunblock, etc. No chems for us.

Okay, I could go on, but I shall stop. I am not trying to sing the praises of Matthew and Melissa. I am merely pointing out all the ways that we celebrate the earth on a daily basis, and not just on the one designated day. After all, we shouldn't wait for the 22nd of April to come round to celebrate the earth. We should respect and care for our planet -- and by doing so, ourselves -- each and every day. :-)

So, I am not really sure what I shall do extra today. Do you have any suggestions?

Update: Well, I spent my Earth Day waiting for my neighbours' cat to step into our humane trap. The kitty has been missing for twelve days, and Matthew discovered that she keeps coming to the culvert at the end of our drive. So, yesterday, we set up one of those humane traps that one uses to catch raccoons and feral cats and the like, and baited it with stinky tuna. I didn't sleep all night -- and the naughty kitty didn't show. She's usually at the end of our drive around 4-5 in the morning. Her mum saw her at 15:30, but not near the trap.

So, tonight KoKo, the naughty kitty whose father accidentally let her out, your mum and I are sitting another vigil. Please come get in the cage. Your family misses you terribly -- and you're driving this kitty mummy crazy.

What did you do for Earth Day? :-) 

No comments: